Monday, December 29, 2014

PK and Hue & Cry of Hindu Chauvinists


Last few days have kept me slightly occupied, initially it was the déjà vu of my upcoming 15 days vacation, which makes it the first in over an year and subsequently the works which were stashed before me tended to be cleared before i started chilling out. Other being the acquisition of my latest crush (MacBook Pro) for which called for research and comparisons in its own way, as most of us would do before purchasing an expensive gadget. Resultant there was not so much of social involvement from my end and therefore I couldn't keep a tab on Aamir Khan starring & perhaps the most awaited movie of 2014, PK. Thus I was not much aware about the furore that occurred in the aftermath of the movie. Today after successfully completing my 20 hrs-stretched-to-36 hrs-journey I reached my hometown & followed the stories covering all the useless unrest that has brewed up. I found out that it has done nothing but added to the already swelling TRP of the movie.
The film is raking moolah at box office and if stats are to be believed then the film becomes first cinema of independent India to amass 182 crores before entering into the 2nd week of its release. While people from all walks of life and followers of every religion have watched it with glee & perhaps enjoyed the movie too, some of the pseudo-intellectuals among us are busy politicising this movie. 
At the outset let me tell you that I am a Hindu and I am proud to be one. But staunchness is not my ilk, neither do I proclaim to be a secular. But that doesn't mean I have no regard for other religions. I don't get the point that why do people feel offended when someone's intent is confined to entertainment only. The self proclaimed godmen cum criminals like Nirmal baba and Swami Rampal have worked their ass out to create a despicable identity for themselves. These hate mongers don't think for a second before abducting a woman and subjecting her to physical torture and mental trauma. Some of them are behind bars while others have impregnable fortress to breach. If I were to opine then I would say that I just see this topic gain momentum because the protagonist is a muslim actor, that’s the reason they are bit too offended. I must say that you would die laughing if I told you that the reason behind all these anti PK slogans is that actor is running after a look alike of mythological hindu god, Lord Shiva. Suddenly the pro-hindu parties and the saffron cloak draped Babas feel their sentiments have been hurt. First it was Shankaracharya and today Baba Ramdev too expressed his displeasure against the message that this movie carries.

Dear Babas and other intellectuals I just hope you know that burning effigies and tearing posters will only add to the skyrocketing popularity of the movie. You are merely showcasing your much anticipated outrage against the makers of the movie because after ‘Oh my God’, this is another movie trying to expose your stark reality. Just because there was little pun intended you can’t claim a nation wide ban on the movie. After all they don't rob, loot, traumatise or rape in real life unlike you.
All about PK: IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate